0

Pagasa (Hope)

Posted by The Red Devil on Thursday, January 27, 2011 in , , ,
Today I saw a man in a wheelchair under a footbridge at SM Southmall. His left hand was amputated and so were both his feet. He was staring into nothingness but was quite tranquil. I was so curious about him that I walked back to the footbridge and walked up to him.

I asked him “Kuya, ano tinitignan mo?” (What are you looking at?)

He looked at me and smiled and said “Pagasa.” (Hope)

I was both touched and embarrassed by this man’s faith and belief in hope. I felt guilty that even though I have been blessed with so many things, I was losing faith in people, life and everything in between. I dug into my pocket and fished out a bill and took his good hand and put it in his palm and said “Salamat kuya. Binigyan mo din ako ng pagasa” (Thank you. You gave me hope)

He was so surprised that he grinned widely and held my hand tight and thanked me. He looked up again into the sky and shouted “Salamat”

That man’s faith and gratitude gives me hope.

How many times have we forgotten to be grateful with what we have? How many times have we been so consumed about what we want and about what we don’t have or what people aren’t doing for us that we forget the simplest things such as gratitude? How many times have we complained about being too poor to afford a new gadget or the tickets to that concert without even thinking about the other people who are too poor to afford anything to eat?

That man had faith. He had nothing else but faith and he selflessly shared that with me – a complete stranger.Thank you, kuya.

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 Diary of a D-list actress All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.