0

Learning about Science through music

Posted by The Red Devil on Monday, August 08, 2011 in , , ,
Being a parent means I have to make sure that the kids get a solid and great education. I want them to learn stuff but I want them to learn while having fun. There is that level of difficulty when you try to teach them about science and vocabulary without boring them to death. Surely, you don't want their session with their therapist to start with "My mom made me learn about miasmas and it just haunts me...HAUNTS ME! BWAHAHAHAH!"

It seems that learning through music is limited with nursery rhymes and alphabets and numbers. After that, there's nothing more than pop music or terribly written songs about the hurricane where the words are forced to rhyme and the melody is droning and monotonous. No offense to these people who wrote this songs. I can't write songs to save my life and I'm not about to critique them with their skills. All I'm saying is that as an end user, I have to make sure that the songs are interesting, catchy and well written. My kids will have to repeat these songs on a regular loop so I would have to endure.

I've heard of They Might Be Giants when I was watching a DVD about Sesame Street's anniversary. I thought they were adorable and their songs were catchy enough for the kids and they helped in making them learn about science and vocabulary! They do have DVDs out that are all about edutainment but here are some of the notable ones IMO.









You should check out ParticleMen's videos on the TMBGs. I suggest you download the vids and songs and let your kids understand and appreciate science. My kids (8 year old girl and 5 year old twins) have just learned 2 new big words yesterday in the span of 10 minutes - miasma and incandescent.


0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 Diary of a D-list actress All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.