0

Yeah, right...because real women look like Barbie.

Posted by The Red Devil on Thursday, February 18, 2010 in , ,
As a kid, I've only had 2 Barbie dolls, and even that lasted for only 2 months. I would look at my Barbies and look at all the women around me and thought, "Damn...there's something wrong with this picture". Of course, this was back in the early 80's, back when the concept of diversity and racial identification was unheard of. So, I did what any kid would do - I tried to make Barbie look like me. I colored her skin with a brown crayon and cut her hair and made it black. I couldn't do anything with the blue eyes so I discarded them and favored my toy guns and my jeep instead.

Now, don't get me wrong - I think Barbie has been trying really hard to make women believe that she's real. If anything, I absolutely know how that feels. The effort is appreciated but the delivery is still wonky. Take her latest foray in the tech world...I'm not sure how to categorize it - whether it's an epic fail or if it deserves an A for effort.

The peg is that women in IT can still be fashionable and trendy even with the trappings and requirements of their jobs. *awkward silence* I had this article sent to me by Dave and I couldn't help but check and re-check if this was a gag site or something.

As if it wasn't hard enough for a woman to be working in a man's world/domain, now we have to look trendy too? What kind of image are we asking our young girls to project? What kind of mentality are we asking them to take?

Thankfully, my daughter knows that Barbie isn't real. If you ask her who her hero is, she'll always say "You and Bai, of course" like it's the most stupid question I had to ask her.

No offense, Mattel but you gotta step up your game.

0 Comments

Copyright © 2009 Diary of a D-list actress All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.